The Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) being the most prestigious institutes in India that offer Engineering and Technological education of internationally recognized standard of excellence and so are their entrance exams! The IITs offer courses at their Mumbai, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Roorkee campuses and also at the Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi and Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad. From the year 2008 onwards, eight new IITs have been set up across the country by the Union HRD Ministry. These new IITs are located in the states of Rajasthan (Jodhpur), Bihar (Patna), Andhra Pradesh (Hyderabad), Himachal Pradesh (Mandi), Orissa (Bhubaneshwar), Madhya Pradesh (Indore), Gujarat (Gandhinagar) and Punjab (Rupnagar), which has increased the total number of IITs to 17.
This year 9,885 seats will be available in the all the 17 Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) including the Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad. The results will be declared on June 23 as announced earlier.
According to information posted on the JEE Advanced website, the seats include IIT Hyderabad (210), IIT Bhubaneswar (160), IIT Bombay (880), IIT Mandi (120), IIT Delhi (851), IIT Indore (120), IIT Kharagpur (1341), IIT Jodhpur (200), IIT Kanpur (827), IIT Madras (838), IIT Gandhinagar (140), IIT Patna (200), IIT Roorkee (1105), IIT Ropar (120), IIT (BHU) Varanasi (1090), IIT Guwahati (660) and ISM Dhanbad (1023).
In the general category 4,844 seats are available followed by 2,599 in Backward Classes (non-creamy layer), 1437 for Scheduled Castes, 721 for Scheduled Tribes, 140 for General Physical Disability candidates, 75 for OBC Physical Disability, 44 for SC and 25 for ST Physical Disability candidates. Wondered about the fees? Here it is –
The IITs have also announced the fee structure for this year. Total payable fee at the time of admission for each IIT includes IIT Bhubaneswar (Rs. 68,600), IIT Bombay (Rs. 67,876), IIT Delhi (Rs. 56,635), IIT Gandhinagar (Rs. 62,600), IIT Guwahati (Rs. 56,600), IIT Jodhpur (Rs. 68,750), IIT Kanpur (Rs. 66,517), IIT Kharagpur (Rs. 57,876), IIT Madras (Rs. 54,927), IT Mandi (Rs. 62,300), IIT Patna (Rs. 60,250), IIT Roorkee (Rs. 63,820), IIT Ropar (Rs. 58,650), IIT (BHU) Varanasi (Rs. 66,200) and ISM Dhanbad (Rs. 49,842) .
Being a Government Institute it offers much lesser fees for SC and ST candidates, to upgrade the quality of Education to them. Students also have to pay the mess charges(additionally with the net fee structure) that vary for each institute. IIT Hyderabad and IIT Indore are yet to decide on the fee structure.
Students graduating from the IITs are known to have acquired professional excellence in life. Be it a matter of getting admissions for further studies in most prestigious Universities abroad, or getting employment in any reputed organizations in the world, IITians are always in top demand! So, what’s exactly the procedure to reach this prestigious height? Its the toughest exam ever – The IITJEE Exam.
The IIT JEE
Every year, the IITs conduct a Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) to select candidates for the 4-year B.Tech, B.Pharm, 5-year B.Arch, Integrated M.Sc. and M.Tech courses.
Pattern of the IIT JEE
At present, the IIT JEE is a single – stage objective type examination consisting of two papers of three hours duration each to test comprehension & analytical ability of candidates. Both papers, Paper-1 and Paper-2 will each have three separate sections on Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics.
All questions will be of Objective Type, designed to test aptitude, comprehension and analytical ability of the candidates
Eligibility for the IIT JEE
- Candidates appearing in (10+2) or equivalent qualifying examination, must secure at least 60%(55% for SC/ST and PD) marks in aggregate in their respective Board Examination.
- A student can have only two attempts to write the JEE in the year in which he or she passes the 12th standard examination and/or in the following year.
- Candidates who join any of the IITs, IT-BHU, Varanasi, and ISM, Dhanbad through JEE will not be permitted to appear for JEE in future
New selection process of IITs
- One entrance exam for admission to IITs, NITs, and IIITs
- The new JEE will consist of 2 Tests viz. Main Test and Advanced Test which will test problem-solving ability in basic science subjects – Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. Both Tests will be of 3 hours duration each.
- Only the Top 1,50,000 candidates (including all categories) based on performance in JEE (Mains) will qualify to appear in the JEE (Advanced) examination, which will rank candidates for admissions to IITs, provided the candidates are among the top 20% high scorers of their respective boards in class 12th examination. C
As the above selection pattern gives a substantial importance to the Std. XII Board marks, it is essential that every student prepares well not only for the proposed JEE but for 12th Std. also.
Are you IIT aspirant? Confused about the best IIT-JEE Coaching Institutes in your city? Edufers bring the list of all the top coaching institutes in your area, with student reviews, description, and fee structure of each IIT Coaching Institute at awesome discounts! Click Here.